We can’t serve you the best fish & chips right now, but here’s the next best thing! Our in house Chef, Will, has created the best fish and chips recipe and is a delicious homemade alternative to help with your Seafood Collective cravings until we meet again.
WILL’S HOMEMADE FISH N CHIPS
Enough for 2-4 people depending on your appetite
2-4 x fillets (Skinned and boned) of your favourite fish
3 tbsp plain flour to coat
1 egg beaten
Splash of milk (optional)
Pinch of salt
100g panko crumbs (or similar)
1 fresh lemon cut into wedges
- Beat the eggs with salt and milk until runny and set aside.
- Use a bowl or dish to coat the fish fillets in flour.
- Dip the fillets in egg mix until completely covered in egg.
- Using tongs or slotted spoon remove fillet from egg and straight into crumb mix
- Make sure the crumbs have completely coated the fish and keep uncovered in the fridge until needed.
- Pan fry with just enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the pan. TIP: preheat oil until sizzling hot, before cooking fish and be careful when frying to keep temperature moderate, but not smoking.
- Turn when golden brown and crispy all over.
- Drain on paper towel and serve with lemon wedges, oven chips and a good dollop of Tartare sauce.
500-750g Agria or baking potatoes (washed or peeled)
Vegetable oil enough to coat chips
Salt and seasoning mix or rub
- In a large pot bring to the boil 3L of salted water.
- Cut potatoes into desired shapes i.e. wedges, chunky’s or chips.
- Blanch the potatoes in the boiling water for 5 mins until slightly tender, but not soft or they will turn to mash potatoes.
- Drain all water and allow to cool on a oiled baking tray.
- Once cool toss in spice rub or just sea salt or even lightly dust with smoked paprika.
- Place in the oven on high 220-240 deg. C and bake until crisp. Turn potatoes over half way through to get even colour all over.
100g of good mayonnaise (preferably made from real eggs)
25 g pickled gherkins
1 handful of fresh parsley
Optional: squeeze of fresh lemon or 1tbsp of pickle juice
- Use a food processor or finely chop all ingredients then mix together with the mayo.
- Add lemon juice or pickle juice to taste. Keep cold until needed.
- To take it to the next level, make remoulade sauce by adding 1x crushed anchovy fillet to mix.